Thursday, September 13, 2012

Culture Surprise

Maybe shoulda used a clown? 
Was it so terrible of me to hide this delightful piece of cultural art in my daughter's bed this evening?

I like to surprise her with educational finds.  It's just so much more powerful when the children are confronted with art rather than prepared ahead of time, you know?

The idea came to me just as the child finished pouring ice water down the back of my pajamas during a nice mother-daughter hug.  

This particular carved sculpture is FULL of historical goodness.  Neilykins picked it up in the wilds of Montreal during a fit of batchelordom.  If that isn't cultural, I don't know what is.  

Tsk.  And here I thought she might find it and be filled with wonder and questions about this breathtaking two foot tall statue, which Neil has lovingly and carefully dubbed, "Evil Guy".   I was all prepared to dazzle her with cultural tidbits that she could share with her little friends tomorrow at school during one of their deep, intellectual group conversations. 

Well I feel terribly unappreciated right about now.    

6 comments:

Nicole Shaw said...

I miss you. I don't know why you drop off my reader, but you do. Google hates our love.

But, speaking of love, I slept with a guy in college who looked a lot like Evil Guy. He scared me, to, when I woke up next to him.

Stephen Hayes said...

I think "Evil Guy" needs a makeover.

dbs said...

Only the really good families do this sort of thing. It just so happens I shook the hell out of my son's pringles about an hour ago so he stole the light from my lamp and then watched me try to turn it on 85 times until I realized he jacked it.

Laoch of Chicago said...

Aspirational!

Dances with Crows said...

I'm sorry, I gotta ask: WHERE DID YOU GET THOSE AMAZING SHEETS??

Dances with Crows said...

I'm sorry, I gotta ask: WHERE DID YOU GET THOSE AMAZING SHEETS??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...